Saturday, November 28, 2015

[Insert quote about changing and growing, or something like that...]

Ah I can’t believe it has been 3 weeks since I’ve written a post. So terribly lazy and inconsiderate of me. I do apologize. And I'm sorry that there is no recipe with this post. I am the worst, I know. There is a reason, however. Everyone around me is busy buying houses, getting hitched and making babies. I have to admit that I’ve been feeling a little bit left out and that my life was starting to feel a little bit boring. I decided it was time to go and shake things up a bit.

So I got a new job. (!!!)

Now, to some, this really might not be that big of a deal. I mean, you can’t exactly put together a registry and throw yourself a “new job shower”, which seems to be the measure of “things that are a big deal” these days. But this is truly a Very Big Deal for me. I am a creature of habit and find comfort in predictability and familiarity. A new job throws all of that out the window. New job, new responsibilities and expectations, new process, new clients, new boss, new people….

A note on the people, because I think this one is the hardest for me. You see the people you work with more than anyone else in your life. More than your friends, your significant other, your family, your dog. These people become your people, or at least hopefully they do, since you’re spending so much time with them. I’ve been with most of my work people for almost 5 years. That’s a lot of time spent with people that all of a sudden, with a job change, you won’t be seeing anymore. Sure maybe you’ll get together every once in awhile and stay connected via the interwebs, but it won’t be the same, no matter what you tell yourself. These are the people that knew when you got a haircut, noticed when you lost a little weight, commented on your shirt, or knew that you had been crying the night before. These are the people you spent time in the trenches with, rolled up your sleeves and fought battles side by side with, set off the building security alarm with because you were working too late, shared cider, and beer and wine and champs with.

I love my work people and the absolute worst part about deciding to leave my job was knowing that that decision lead to me also leaving my people. I cried when I got the new job offer because I knew I was going to accept it and what that meant. I cried every day leading up to me giving my notice, and just about every day after giving notice up to, and through, my last day. It has been 8 days since my last day, and every single dream I have had since has had a work person show up in it. I’m kind of a mess.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the new job. The timing for making the change is right for where I am in my life and in my career, and where I want to go next.  It is necessary. Isn’t there some quote about the only way you can grow is if you change? Yeah, well, that. I need to grow, so I need to change.

But here I am mostly worried about who I’m going to sit with at lunch, and if I’m going to find my new people there… Guess we’ll find out Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment